CCNA DISCOVERY 2 CHAPTER 2 V4.1
1. Which two functions are provided by the upper layers of the OSI model? (Choose two.)
placing electrical signals on the medium for transmission
**initiating the network communication process
**encrypting and compressing data for transmission
segmenting and identifying data for reassembly at the destination
choosing the appropriate path for the data to take through the network
2. Which is a function of the transport layer of the OSI model?
routes data between networks
converts data to bits for transmission
**delivers data reliably across the network using TCP
formats and encodes data for transmission
transmits data to the next directly connected device
3. Which common Layer 1 problem can cause a user to lose connectivity?
incorrect subnet mask
incorrect default gateway
**loose network cable
NIC improperly installed
4. Which three command line utilities are most commonly used to troubleshoot issues at Layer 3? (Choose three.)
a packet sniffer
5. Which address is used by the router to direct a packet between networks?
source MAC address
destination MAC address
source IP address
**destination IP address
6. What is the correct encapsulation order when data is passed from Layer 1 up to Layer 4 of the OSI model?
**bits, frames, packets, segments
frames, bits, packets, segments
packets, frames, segments, bits
segments, packets, frames, bits
7. What are two goals of the ISP help desk? (Choose two.)
conserving support resources
sales of network services
8. In what two ways do Level 1 and Level 2 help desk technicians attempt to solve a customer's problems? (Choose three.)
**talking to the customer on the telephone
upgrading hardware and software
**using various web tools
making an onsite visit
installing new equipment
**with remote desktop sharing applications
9. A customer calls the help desk about setting up a new PC and cable modem and being unable to access the Internet. What three questions would the technician ask if the bottom-up troubleshooting approach is used? (Choose three.)
**Is the NIC link light blinking?
What is the IP address and subnet mask?
Can the default gateway be successfully pinged?
**Is the network cable properly attached to the modem?
**Is the Category 5 cable properly connected to the network slot on the PC?
Can you access your e-mail account?
10. A customer calls to report a problem accessing an e-commerce web site. The help desk technician begins troubleshooting using a top-down approach. Which question would the technician ask the customer first?
**Can you access other web sites?
Is there a firewall installed on your computer?
What is your IP address?
Is the link light lit on your NIC card?
11. Which statement describes the process of escalating a help desk trouble ticket?
The help desk technican resolves the customer problem over the phone and closes the trouble ticket.
Remote desktop utilities enable the help desk technician to fix a configuration error and close the trouble ticket.
**After trying unsuccessfully to fix a problem, the help desk technician sends the trouble ticket to the onsite support staff.
When the problem is solved, all information is recorded on the trouble ticket for future reference.
12. What are two functions of the physical layer of the OSI model? (Choose two.)
adding the hardware address
**converting data to bits
encapsulating data into frames
13. A customer calls the ISP help desk after setting up a new PC with a cable modem but being unable to access the Internet. After the help desk technician has verified Layer 1 and Layer 2, what are three questions the help desk technician should ask the customer? (Choose three.)
**What is your subnet mask?
**What is your IP address?
Is the NIC link light blinking?
**Can you ping the default gateway?
Is the network cable properly attached to the cable modem?
Is the network cable correctly connected to the network port on the PC?
14. Which scenario represents a problem at Layer 4 of the OSI model?
An incorrect IP address on the default gateway.
A bad subnet mask in the host IP configuration.
**A firewall filtering traffic addressed to TCP port 25 on an email server.
An incorrect DNS server address being given out by DHCP.
15. What are two basic procedures of incident management? (Choose two.)
**opening a trouble ticket
using diagnostic tools to identify the problem
surveying network conditions for further analysis
configuring new equipment and software upgrades
**adhering to a problem-solving strategy
e-mailing a problem resolution to the customer
16. Which level of support is supplied by an ISP when providing managed services?
17. What is the first step that is used by a help desk technician in a systematic approach to helping a customer solve a problem?
identify and prioritize alternative solutions
isolate the cause of the problem
**define the problem
select an evaluation process
18. A network technician has isolated a problem at the transport layer of the OSI model. Which question would provide further information about the problem?
**Do you have a firewall that is configured on your PC?
Do you have a link light on your network card?
Is your PC configured to obtain addressing information using DHCP?
What default gateway address is configured in your TCP/IP settings?
Can you ping http://www.cisco.com?
19. An ISP help desk technician receives a call from a customer who reports that no one at their business can reach any websites, or get their e-mail. After testing the communication line and finding everything fine, the technician instructs the customer to run nslookup from the command prompt. What does the technician suspect is causing the customer's problem?
improper IP address configuration on the host
hardware failure of the ISR used to connect the customer to the ISP
bad cables or connections at the customer site
**failure of DNS to resolve names to IP addresses
20. Which layers of the OSI model are commonly referred to as the upper layers?
**application, presentation, session
application, session, network
presentation, transport, network
presentation, network, data link